Tuesday 24 April 2012

ANZAC Day and the 39th Militia Battalion

ANZAC Day and the 39th Militia Battalion


We got up at 4:30am this morning and headed to the Shrine of Remembrance for the Dawn Service.


Jeremy and I started going to Dawn Services about 9 years ago, the first time in Adelaide and since then we have attended them in Glenelg, Burnie (Tassie), Melbourne and Apollo Bay. We try to get to them no matter where we are living or holidaying at the time.


This years is the first time we have been rained on, I think we have been lucky so far. Anyway can't complain the diggers did it much worse!


This year was great because I got to go with my Uncle Don who served in the army for around 22 years.
Jez, Adam, Jeremy, Don
Mel, Don 
Adam, Don


ANZAC day is a remembrance of the Australians & New Zealanders who fought at Gallipoli during WWI. Now, the commemorations extend to include everyone who have died & served in Military operations. 
So this year due to our upcoming trek I wanted to commemorate the 39th Battalion.


The 39th Battalion
http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11908.asp
The 39th were the first battalion who went up the Kokoda track to fight the Japanese and saved Australia from certain Japanese invasion. 
The 39th Battalion were a militia unit, as a militia battalion there was only a slight possibility they would be sent overseas, their role was initially to defend Australia at home. 
Times were desperate and so they were sent to Port Moresby. A more unlikely unit couldn't be found anywhere else in the Australian army. They were made up of young civilian men (I should say boys as most were 18-21 years old) who had been called up to service. They were nicknamed by the other battalions as Chocos' or 'Chocolate Soldiers' as the regular soldiers thought they would melt under pressure. There were 550 remarkable men, who in 8 weeks stopped the advancing Japanese troops, of the 'Nankai Division', (6000 men), cross the Owen Stanley Range to take Port Moresby.


I am currently reading this amazing story (my boss gave me the book last year for my birthday) and I recommend everyone to read it, the courage, the loyalty, the spirit in which they conducted this campaign and the things they went through leave me astounded.
http://shop.abc.net.au/products/kokoda-5


Lest we forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment