Tuesday 1 May 2012

9 weeks to go & how is the training going?

People keep asking how is the training going, well it's going ok. Most people's comments have been 'you must be super fit', well yes..........fit but not super fit yet. Still not at the level we would like to be, but in saying that there is still 9 weeks to go and we don't want to peak to early, lose interest or burn ourselves out. Feeling stronger in the legs and mentally getting better prepared.

Last week was a great week of training, running stairs 2 nights a week, a couple of gym classes and an 11km hike through the Dandenongs on Sunday. This hike was good, I was able to use my hiking poles for the first time, slight blister on my thumb, but I did find they helped, especially going downhill when it was slippery.

I was feeling emotionally drained at the start of this week though, so Jeremy rode the exercise bike for a bit on Monday night and I had a night off training. I feel like I've invested quite a bit of emotion into the whole thing so far and with ANZAC Day last week and a lot of war coverage on the TV it was draining.

Reading the book is extremely inspiring but at the same time it is so sad. I've had to put the book to the side every now and again as I can't bring myself to read it for this reason. It's a well written book and I am definitely glad to be reading it, I downloaded the audio book version and we listen to it on our headphones while running up and down stairs which helps to push you along.

Gym class last night straight after work and then I walked home, stairs tonight, gym tomorrow and Friday and then we're hoping to do a full day trek on Sunday somewhere in Victoria. Still haven't decided where yet, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  This is pretty much how the training will go until June when we amp everthing up a bit.

Found out last week that they do a Kokoda Race Challenge to see how quickly someone can do the trek in.
Keep in mind we will be trekking for 8 days, a colleague did the trek in 3 days and the world record holder did it last year in 17:50:33, OMG that is amazing! And crazy!

Here's some more records for the trek

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting reading. Keep up the good work. We are very proud of what you are achieving and WILL achieve at the end. Don't burn yourselves out emotionally or physically!
    Great work. Love Mum & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, was going to write something when I first read it like your mum and dad don and i are very proud of you two and patrick, we know you will do very well all three.Love Jo and Don hope this gets to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not realize you had so much inspiration/reason behind the walk. Keep it up as I am keen to hear more in the next 9 weeks and even keen to read what you write in the dairy on the trail(if you are happy to share it). Kia Kaha (be strong).

    ReplyDelete